If you are experiencing severe or mild tooth pain or sensitivity to certain types of foods such as those with varying temperatures or those that are very sugary, you may have a cavity. Cavities are a result of normal tooth decay, which can cause holes to develop in the teeth. Even though tooth decay is normal, there are steps that you can take to prevent cavities altogether, both with good at home care and also with regular general dentistry appointments.
Some things that can be done to prevent cavities at home include:
- Brushing your teeth at least twice every single day, but preferably after every meal
- Using fluoride toothpastes or mouth rinses
- Flossing your teeth regularly
- Avoiding sugary foods and drinks
All of these steps are extremely important in preventing cavities and maintaining dental hygiene, however, even if you have fantastic home care, it is necessary to schedule routine dental appointments in order to fully prevent cavities and maintain optimal oral health. At your preventative health appointment, our experienced dentist can do many things to help you prevent cavities such as:
- Reviewing proper brushing and flossing techniques
- Applying a fluoride treatment that will help to protect teeth
- Applying a sealant to teeth which leaves them less vulnerable to cavities
- Educating you on healthy food choices for your teeth and oral health in general
- Performing x-rays to find out if you already have cavities or other oral health problems
If you are suffering from tooth pain or discomfort or just want to prevent yourself from getting any cavities to the best of your ability please call Forestream Dental at (716) 462-4022 for a routine dental appointment. Our Buffalo dentist can help you prevent cavities and maintain your oral health.