A dental implant is an artificial tooth root that provides an anchor for an artificial tooth (a dental crown) when your own natural tooth root is compromised. For Buffalo, New York area patients, our dentist uses implants to replace one single tooth or a whole mouthful of teeth, effectively taking the place of removable dentures. Unlike dentures or bridges, dental implants involve surgically placing one or more artificial tooth roots into the jawbone.
The Dental Implant Procedure
Dental implants can be placed and completed in two visits with a waiting period in between them.
- In the first visit, the implant is put in place surgically. It will need about two months, sometimes more, to fuse with the bone, a process known as osseointegration. This creates a strong foundation for the new tooth or teeth.
The root implants are small cylinders made of titanium, a material that fuses well with bone.
- During your second visit, about two months after the first, the new artificial tooth is permanently attached to the implant. The final result is a new and strongly supported tooth that is color-matched to the surrounding teeth.
Dental implants will look and feel like your natural teeth and you will be able to eat all of your favorite foods like apples or corn on the cob, without worrying about your teeth moving or falling out.
Advantages of Dental Implants
There are other alternatives to replace missing teeth, such as bridges or dentures. However, there are several advantages that implants have over other techniques:
- Dental implants are secure and durable.
- The crowns attached to them look so much like natural teeth it's almost impossible for anyone to know you have implants.
- The crowns can be cleaned and cared for much like natural teeth.
- Other teeth are not disturbed in the process of placing implants.
- With proper care, they will last the rest of your life.
Am I a candidate?
The ideal candidate for a dental implant:
- Is in good health
- Does not smoke (smoking inhibits healing)
- Has healthy gums
- Has a large enough jawbone
- Is not diabetic
- Has no bleeding disorder
- Has a strong immune system
Implant dentist Dr. Evola will review your dental history and current health factors to help determine if dental implants are right for you.
If you are bothered by missing teeth and have been considering a solution, contact the staff at Forestream Dental in Buffalo today. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have and schedule a complimentary dental implant consultation with Buffalo implant dentist, Dr. Evola. In just a short period of time, you can have a complete and bright smile again! We serve patients in Buffalo, Amherst, Lancaster, and Williamsville, New York.