June is National Migraine and Headache Awareness Month. If you struggle with chronic headaches, this is a good time to consider which treatment option might best meet your needs.
While there are literally hundreds of different types of headaches, most can be placed into one of four categories:
- Migraine. Marked by debilitating pain, migraine headaches may be accompanied by nausea, sensitivity to light and sound, and distorted vision
- Cluster. Marked by severe pain on just one side of the head, typically behind the eye, cluster headaches may be accompanied by a runny nose, eyelid ptosis, and tearing
- Sinus. Marked by pain in the sinuses and throughout the upper face, sinus headaches may be accompanied by nasal congestion and fever
- Tension. Marked by dull pain on either side of the head, tension headaches may also be accompanied by tenderness of the scalp and tightness across the forehead and back of the head
Because the causes of each of these types of headaches are often very different, treatment for each one requires a proper diagnosis.
One of the most commonly overlooked causes of chronic headaches is temporomandibular joint disorder (TMD). This condition is caused by misalignment of the jaw joints, an issue which can, in turn, result in:
- Severe facial and head pain
- Pain or pressure behind the eyes
- Ear pain or ringing
- Neck, shoulder, and back pain
- Nausea and dizziness
TMD headaches may also be accompanied by other symptoms of the disorder including grinding noises when you chew, clicking or popping noises when opening the mouth, and chronic pain around the jaw joints. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms in addition to frequent head pain, it may be time to call our Depew office for a neuromuscular evaluation with Dr. Larry Evola.
Why Choose Us?
Dr. Evola is the only dentist in Western New York who is fully trained in neuromuscular dentistry. Awarded fellowship from the prestigious Las Vegas Institute for Advanced Dental Studies, Dr. Evola knows how to detect and treat advanced neuromuscular disorders and utilizes state-of-the-art technology to help each of our TMD patients find lasting relief.
If you are suffering from chronic headaches, don’t overlook the possibility of a neuromuscular dental disorder. Call Forestream Dental at 716-656-8686 to schedule an evaluation today.