Dental implants are inserted directly into the jaw to hold restorations, such as dental crowns or dentures, firmly in place. Unlike other types of tooth replacement, dental implants are permanent. Once accepted by your jaw, they will not come loose or fall out if they are properly cared for.
If you live in or around Buffalo New York and are curious to learn if a dental implant is the best fit for your needs, please call Forestream Dental at 716-656-8686 to schedule your initial consultation today. Located in Depew, we welcome patients from all surrounding areas of New York.
- What are Dental Implants?
- What are the Advantages of Dental Implants?
- What are the Different Type of Dental Implants?
- Which Restorations can be Used with Dental Implants?
- Am I a Good Dental Implant Candidate?
- Does Insurance Pay for Dental Implants?
- Why Should I Choose Forestream Dental?
The roots of your teeth serve serval purposes. Two of these are anchoring teeth to the jaw and signaling to the body where minerals are needed for proper jaw density and strength. When a tooth is missing, so too is its root, allowing these signals to stop and the body to absorb minerals surrounding the now empty socket. The end result is a shrinking or collapsing of the jaw around the space where the tooth is missing.
Dental implants serve as a replacement for a missing tooth’s root.
Dental implants, like the natural roots of teeth, work as an anchor, holding restorations in place. Similar to roots in other regards as well, dental implants help to preserve the integrity and structure of the jaw by alerting the body that minerals, such as calcium, are needed in that specific area. In fact, dental implants are the only type of tooth replacement that prevents jaw shrinkage and collapse.
Quite small, implants are able to be inserted directly into the jaw. Once there, they undergo a process called osseointegration during which osteoblasts and connective tissue adhere to microscopic holes on the implant’s surface, securing it permanently into the jaw. Once secured, dental implants offer a complete restoration of strength and function, enabling the beautiful restorations placed by Dr. Larry Evola to act, look, and feel just like your natural teeth.
The Dental Implant Process
Dental implants can be placed and completed in two visits with a waiting period of approximately two months in between. These visits will consist of:
- The Surgical Placement of the Implant. During your first visit, the implants are put in place surgically. They will need about two months, sometimes more, to undergo the process of osseointegration and create the strongest foundation for the new tooth or teeth
- The Cosmetic Restoration of the Implant. During your second visit, the new artificial tooth is permanently attached to the implant. The final result is a new and strongly supported tooth that is color-matched to the surrounding teeth
There are several alternatives for replacing missing teeth, such as dental bridges and dentures. However, dental implants enjoy many advantages over these other options.
- Dental implants are secure and durable
- The crowns attached to them look so much like natural teeth it's almost impossible for anyone to know you have implants
- The crowns can be cleaned and cared for much like natural teeth
- Other teeth are not disturbed in the process of placing implants
- With proper care, they will last the rest of your life
Dental implants are stronger, more reliable, and easier to care for than any other type of tooth replacement. What’s more, implants are the only tooth replacement option that prevents structural changes to the jaw, allowing them to help you maintain facial symmetry while preserving the integrity of your jawline.
We offer both traditional and mini dental implants at Forestream Dental.
- Mini implants are roughly 2mm in size versus the traditional 4mm and 5.75mm of traditional dental implants
- Mini implants allow for easier installation and can be implanted in narrower spaces than traditional implants, making them ideal for men and women with insufficient jawbone for a traditional option
- Mini implants have a single stage procedure versus the standard two-stage procedure, allowing restorations to be completed without a lengthy recovery period
- The mini implant procedure is minimally invasive with no gum cutting or stitches to be removed, significantly reducing the recovery period
- Mini implants may be less expensive than traditional implants
Mini dental implants are often been used to retain dentures, but can be used for many different situations. During your initial consultation, we can discuss your dental implant restoration options to help you choose the best solution for your needs.
The most common restoration for a single dental implant is a dental crown. At Forestream Dental, we offer the highest quality porcelain crowns for dental implant restorations. Shaped, shaded, and sized to fit perfectly into your smile, our porcelain crowns are able to reflect light in the same manner as natural tooth enamel, further enabling them to produce a flawless appearance.
Porcelain crowns are exceptionally strong and maintain their stain resistance unless cracked or damaged. Proper care, including biannual visits to our Depew office, can help prevent these types of issues. So too can refraining from chewing on ice, hard candy, and non-food items such as pens, and taking time to brush and floss at least twice daily.
In addition to porcelain crowns, dental implants can be used to secure full and partial dentures. Implant supported dentures, such as the All-on-Four®, are much more secure than traditional dentures and will not come loose, shift, or fall out with normal use. Significantly more reliable than adhesives, dental implants can hold both temporary and permanent dentures, allowing us to provide you with the best treatment for your specific needs. If you are missing more than one tooth or an entire row of teeth, implant supported dentures can offer a previously impossible full restoration of strength and beauty.
Mini Dental Implants and Dentures
There are several reasons why mini dental implants are a good replacement for removable dentures. They can resolve issues including:
- Dentures that fall out while speaking or eating
- Dentures that slip while smiling
- Dentures that click while speaking or eating
- Food particles that decay while stuck beneath dentures causing bad breath
Mini dental implants also be used to fix dentures. By creating a socket in your dentures that fits over the mini dental implant screw, loose dentures can be stabilized.
The ideal candidate for a dental implant:
- Is in good health
- Does not smoke (smoking inhibits healing)
- Has healthy gums
- Has a large enough jawbone
- Is not diabetic
- Has no bleeding disorder
- Has a strong immune system
Of course, with various dental implant options, some of these issues, such as jawbone density, are less of a concern.
The best way to learn if you are a good candidate is through a one-on-one consultation. During this visit, our implant dentist will review your dental history and current health factors to help determine if dental implants are right for you.
Many dental insurance plans cover dental implants. Because their placement is surgical, some general insurance plans cover them as well. You will need to check with your provider to determine your coverage limits.
Dr. Evola and the staff at Forestream Dental want to make sure everyone is provided access to the most effective dental care. We offer the Forestream Dental Assurance Plan™, which provides substantial discounts for major procedures including dental implants. We would be happy to discuss this, along with other financing options during your initial consultation at our office.
At Forestream Dental, Your Consultation is Free
While financing your implant procedure may be of interest to you, there will be no need to finance your initial consultation with experienced Buffalo dentist, Dr. Larry Evola. Our consultations are always free of both cost and obligation, making them a safe and effective way to learn about your options.
During your complimentary dental implants consultation, we will listen to your concerns, assess your candidacy, and answer any questions you have about dental implants. This is a perfect opportunity for you to meet Dr. Evola and to determine if ours is the right practice for your needs.
The Forestream Difference is noticeable from the moment you contact us. Thoughtful, attentive, experienced, and effective, Dr. Evola and our staff take every care to ensure optimal patient comfort, convenience, and satisfaction.
Our patient experience is unparalleled, but not undeserved. We strongly believe that everyone who walks through our doors is entitled to the safest and most effective treatments in a completely judgment-free environment.
"I switched over to Forestream and it was the best decision I’ve made. Great service and it was the best cleaning I’ve had. Very happy with my decision to pick Forestream. If you want your teeth cleaned the right way this is the place to go to. The staff was very helpful and had tons of tips for keeping my teeth clean." - Trevor T.
Contact Forestream Dental
Are you ready to schedule your free consultation with Dr. Evola? Call Forestream Dental at 716-656-8686 today! Located in Depew, we provide exceptional service to people living in all surrounding communities, including Buffalo, Orchard Park, and Cheektowaga.