What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is a safe and effective way to address dental phobia, anxiety, and discomfort. With gentle sedation, Dr. Larry Evola can help patients of all ages feel comfortable and safe without ever losing consciousness. This allows patients to remain responsive without fear, enabling even the most anxious to find complete comfort during the entirety of their appointment.
If you struggle with dental phobia due to a traumatic experience with another dentist or simply find dental appointments uncomfortable, Dr. Evola can help. Call Forestream Dental at 716-656-8686 to schedule a consultation and learn more. Located in Depew, we welcome patients from Cheektowaga, Blossom, Dellwood, Williamsville, and all surrounding areas of New York.
What are the different types of Sedation Dentistry options?
In dentistry, three particular types of sedation exist. These include:
- Inhalation sedation: Most people know inhalation sedation as nitrous oxide or “laughing gas.” This common method of sedation involves inhaling nitrous oxide through a small mask placed over the nose. This type of sedation creates a warm relaxation. Patients are awake and responsive.
- Oral conscious sedation: This type of sedation has become increasingly popular in recent years. Oral conscious sedation allows patients to undergo various dental procedures feeling relaxed and calm. While it is often referred to as “sleep dentistry” or “twilight sedation,” oral conscious sedation does not cause sleep. Patients are awake and responsive.
- IV sedation: People often misunderstand IV sedation as general sedation. It is not. This form of sedation delivers anti-anxiety medication to the bloodstream. Within a few moments, patients are completely relaxed. However, they can breathe and swallow on their own.
A local anesthetic is administered alongside all forms of dental sedation.
Who are the Ideal Candidates for Sedation Dentistry?
Many people look to sedation dentistry to quell anxiety or address the issue of dental phobia. Indeed, this service offers remarkable benefit to nervous patients and can be incredibly effective for men, women, and even children who struggle with fear of the dentist. However, sedation services offer benefit to people experiencing all forms of discomfort, not just anxiety, that may prevent them from seeking general, cosmetic, or restorative dental services.
You may benefit from sedation dentistry if you have:
- An overactive gag-reflex
- Very sensitive teeth
- A high tolerance for numbing medications
- TMJ or jaw pain
- Restless leg syndrome
- Difficulties sitting still
- A general dislike of dental treatments
Utilizing the safest techniques, Dr. Evola is able to provide the exact right amount of sedation for each patient, enabling him to address different levels of discomfort with the most effective level and type of sedation available. Sedation is suitable for longer treatments such as implant placement or scaling and root planing, but is equally useful for general cleanings and other routine services. The best way to learn if sedation dentistry can help you find greater comfort during your visit is through a one-on-one consultation with Dr. Evola, where he can listen to your concerns and provide you with honest information about your options.
Can you drive home after sedation dentistry?
In most cases, patients can drive home after undergoing treatment involving nitrous oxide sedation. This form of sedative wears off within minutes. Other forms of sedation take longer to wear off. Patients need to arrange for someone to escort them to their appointment and see them home safely.
How long does dental sedation take to wear off?
How long it takes for dental sedation to wear off depends on several factors. Nitrous oxide typically wears off within 5 minutes. At the conclusion of a procedure, the dentist alters the ratio of nitrous oxide to oxygen, increasing oxygen until the patient is breathing only that substance. In a minute or two, the sedative effect resolves completely. Patients treated with oral conscious sedation and IV sedation typically recover in about thirty minutes. However, “recover” in this scenario means that they have regained alertness. It does not mean the sedative effect is completely gone. Most patients who receive oral or IV sedation are advised to go straight home and rest for 24 hours. Patients must not drive after having oral or IV sedation at the dentist.
Is Sedation Dentistry safe?
Sedation dentistry is safe and effective. It has made it possible for thousands of people to regain control of their dental health. Dentists provide safe sedation by:
- Obtaining proper training to provide various sedation services.
- Taking a thorough medical history of each patient, including medications and supplements they take.
- Understanding and practicing proper dosing of various sedative medications.
- Understanding the risks of various sedation techniques and how to manage them.
- Monitoring each patient at all times when sedation is administered.
Can patients hear when sedated?
Patients who receive dental sedation are awake and aware of their surroundings. They breathe and swallow normally and can hear and speak to the dental team at all times.
Dedicated to Your Comfort
In addition to sedation dentistry, we take every step possible to make sure your visit – from the moment you enter our office – is safe, calming, and rewarding. We offer several amenities to improve your comfort and help you feel fully relaxed.
Some of what makes Forestream Dental different includes:
- DVD glasses
- Massage chairs
- Complimentary refreshments
We also offer a dedicated children’s play area in our open and airy office, and provide comfortable and inviting chairs and couches in our lobby to encourage relaxation from the start to the finish of your visit.
We are committed to providing the most rewarding experience in an entirely judgment-free space where you can relax, feel safe, and know that you are receiving the best dental care around. We welcome an opportunity to meet with you, free of charge, to discuss your needs and provide you with information about all of your options
- "Everyone I encountered there was above and beyond nice. Dr. Evola treated me with kindness and respect. I never felt rushed, he explains everything thoroughly and wants to see you improve." - M.C.
- "Dr. Evola is the best dentist and has a great staff..wish I would of been there years ago he has fixed so many problems I have had..very nice guy and gentle..I highly recommend him ..Thank you Dr. Larry Evola!!" - J.G.
- "They are really great there, I've been going for years and they treat me incredibly well." - T.F.
Contact Forestream Dental for a Complimentary Consultation
To schedule your complimentary consultation at Forestream Dental, please call 716-656-8686 today. We serve Buffalo, Orchard Park, and all surrounding New York communities from our welcoming and comfortable Depew location.