Dental implants are an excellent choice for patients who are missing teeth. The titanium screw that acts as a replacement for your missing tooth’s root and the porcelain crown that caps the dental implant can last for many years and help to strengthen the functionality of your existing teeth and your bite.
Dental implants can be used to replace one or several teeth, as well as replace dentures. In addition to traditional dental implants, Forestream Dental offers mini dental implants for our patients. Mini dental implants are actually smaller and narrower than traditional dental implants, which gives dentists and patients more options when discussing dental implant candidacy.
Mini Dental Implants vs. Traditional Dental Implants
- Mini implants are roughly 2mm in size versus the traditional 4mm and 5.75mm
- Mini implants allow for easier installation and can be implanted in narrower spaces than traditional implants
- Mini implants have a single stage procedure versus two stage procedure
- Mini implant procedure is minimally invasive with no gum cutting or stitches that must be removed
- May be cheaper than traditional implants
Mini dental implants have often been used to only retain dentures, but can be used for many different situations.
Mini Dental Implants and Dentures
There are several reasons why mini dental implants are a good replacement for removable dentures. They can resolve issues including:
- Dentures that fall out while speaking or eating
- Dentures that slip while smiling
- Dentures that click while speaking or eating
- Food particles that decay while stuck beneath dentures causing bad breath
Mini dental implants also work in conjunction with fixing dentures. By creating a socket in dentures that fit over the mini dental implant screw, loose dentures can be stabilized.
The success of dental implants in replacing bridges and removable dentures is one thing that many potential candidates say is a major advantage. Mini dental implants offer even more patients the option of strengthening their bite and giving them the peace of mind that they no longer have to worry about embarrassing situations that can occur with other dental options.
If you would like to find out more about mini dental implants and are in the Buffalo, New York area, please contact Buffalo implant dentist, Dr. Larry Evola at Forestream Dental for an initial implant dentistry consultation.